This recipes at random cornbread is one of my favourites and the recipe is really easy. I found it on about.com using a google search. It’s great with chilli con carne (which is the plan today), soup or just on it’s own.
125g of butter
3/4 cup of sugar
235 ml of buttermilk or low fat natural yoghurt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup of plain flour
1 cup of ground polenta
- Melt butter and mix in sugar.
- Beat in 2 eggs.
- Combine buttermilk or yoghurt with baking soda. This will make the buttermilk/yoghurt bubble up and double in volume, so make sure you use a big enough jug/bowl. Combine with butter and sugar.
- Add salt, flour and polenta.
- Pour into a greased 8 inch square baking tray.
- Bake at 180°C (or 160°C in a fan oven) and cook for 35 minutes or until a pointy knife plunged into the middle of the cornbread comes out clean.
Very good, but note that this is quite sweet, so a bit cakey – but I like cornbread that way!