These biscotti were inspired by the flavours in the pistachio cake I baked recently and I actually think the flavours lend themselves better to biscotti.
175g of caster sugar
2 clementines (or 1 orange), zested
2 tsp rosewater essence
300g of plain flour
1 tsp of baking powder
140g of whole shelled pistachio nuts
plain flour for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 150ºC fan oven.
- Beat eggs with sugar, clementine zest and rosewater essence until pale and thick, approximately doubled in volume.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder and pistachios to form dough.
- On a floured work surface press together the dough, divide into two and form into 2 logs, approximately 2 cm high and 4–6 cm wide. Place on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake in oven until pale golden and firm to touch (20–30 minutes).
- Allow to cool to the touch.
- Slice into 2 cm slices by cutting on the diagonal with a sharp knife.
- Lay slices flat on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake at 150ºC for about 30 minutes until crisp and golden brown. Biscotti should not be soft in the middle, they should be crisp through. Transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Cool completely before storing in an airtight container (but serve warm if you can’t wait).